Monday, June 7, 2010
Don't Drink the Kool-Aid!
People do like to get worked into a frenzy over political issues. I used to be one of them. One of the curses/blessings about being middle-aged is that everything in your life about the middle. I think the thickening of the mid-section that comes with age and menopause is may very well be a biological metaphor -- albeit a cruel one. Since everyone seems to care so much about MY political opinions, which is usually just a ploy so they can pontificate on their own opinions, here is a list of a few things I believe:
1. I am pro-choice. I believe a woman's ability to control her reproductive system is not an issue that should involve the state. If someone is against abortion, then by all means they should not have an abortion. Until science can issue a definitive statement on when the "soul" enters human body, the decision to continue a pregnancy or terminate a pregnancy is between a WOMAN and her doctor. When men can carry children and their bodies bear the physical strain of giving birth, they can have a say. Until then, men run just about everything else, so they can shut-the-fuck-up about MY BODY. (Please don't try to engage me in a discussion about this issue, because my opinion is pretty much set in stone on this one. Discussing it gives me a damn headache, and since I no longer have a uterus, I only have a philosophical stake in the issue and not a personal one. If you would like to disagree with me, you are free to do so, but not one this blog. I HATE discussing this subject.)
2. I love gay people. If you are gay and want to get married, have at it.
3. I support our military. O.K., if you have been following me nodding your head yes, this one may have you doing a Scooby-Doo and going: "Hurruh?" I have issues about U.S. involvement in Iraq, but Saddam Hussein was an evil, evil man who killed lots of innocent people. Until the U.S. is no longer dependent on oil, it behooves the U.S. control the oil in that region. Imperialistic? Maybe. Morally wrong? Could be. Politically advantageous to the Western way of life? Yup.
I completely support our military in the war in Afghanistan. I will always and forever be pissed-off about what happened on 9/11/2001. To fail to understand the intent of jihad in fundamentalist Islam is dangerous indeed.
4. I do not believe Barrack Obama is the second-coming or the anti-Christ.
5. I think that BP is mostly responsible for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and as a Florida girl, I am just sick about it.
5. I HATE talk radio. It is divisive, full of lies and misinformation and resolves nothing -- even when I agree with it.
6. I love a good conspiracy theory, but I don't believe in them.
Now that ought to upset just about everybody.
Have a nice day!